Photo by Garbo Productions
Feeding four-year-olds is hard enough, throw celiac disease into the mix and this becomes a very daunting task. We explore gluten free options at home and in the San Francisco Bay Area and put them up against the toughest critics around... my kids.

4/19/11

Gluten free cupcake recipe and activity



My husband just had his birthday between two trips out of town so I had to improvise. I had the twins decorate a little snow scene on cupcakes made from this amazing spongecake recipe. Our favorite gluten free items included: Glutino pretzels sticks, M and Ms, skittles, chocolate chips, coconut on pillsbury frosting ( I love the new Pillsbury Easy Frost that I can take to birthday parties the kids attend), Mike and Ikes for the carrot nose, and a ghirardelli square for the hat, and Kraft marshmellos for his body.  One of my friends placed these cute little treats on a bag and gave them to her child's teacher, which was so sweet.

 The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook

Basic Gluten Free Flour Mix
4 cups super fine brown rice flour (Authentic Foods superfine brown rice flour)
1 1/3 cups potato starch (not potato flour)
2/3 c tapioca flour (same as tapioca starch)

Spongecake
1 T of Ener-G replacer with 1/4 c rice milk or (1-2 eggs)
           1 1/2 tsp of Ener-G replacer with 2 Tablespoon of rice milk = 1 egg
1 1/2 c sugar
1 T pure vanilla extract
3 T canola oil
3 cups of Basic GF flour Mix
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 c warm rice milk

preheat oven to 350
1-wisk egg or egg replacer until foamy about 1 minute
2- Add sugar, vanilla, oil
3-mix flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt
4-Add dry ingredients to the wet, alternating with rice milk
5-Bake 40 minutes
1/2 tsp salt

FYI (If you purchase any products from Amazon through my site this does not increase your purchase price, however, I do receive credit for my referrals)

No comments:

Post a Comment